[extropy-chat] Reliable tech

kevinfreels.com kevin at kevinfreels.com
Tue Aug 30 15:37:57 UTC 2005

100% reliability is possible. It is layers of complexity that create the
indeterminate.
For example, if I were sitting on top of a nuclear weapon when it detonated,
I would die.
If I were traveling at 60,000 kph in space enclosed in nothing but a
spacesuit, and I hit the moon, I will die.
In fact, if I were just ejected in space without a suit I would die.
Death is, as far as we know, 100% reliable in the natural world. That is why
it takes something like mind to create the unnatural state of living
forever. But even then, the universe will surely die unless we, or someone
else intervenes.

The problem is when you rely on the detonation to do the killing. The bomb
may fail to detonate.