[extropy-chat] Tiny autonomous aircraft, again.

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 21:42:59 UTC 2005

--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:

> ... BBC article:

...> These little "birds" would be a great adjunct to
> pervasive system of fixed cameras.

Bingo!

I've mentioned previously my version of the
"ubiquitous surveillance-camera system" where
individual "nodes" consist of an inventory of home
cameras connected wireless/USB to the home PC which is
GPS "stamped". The combined network then blankets a
certain area.  The data and system are privately
owned, with access priviledges by subpoena/warrant or
permission.

This network would be sizable, yet still only provides
fixed and limited coverage.

Add the little planes and you get rapid response and
broadened dynamic coverage.

The Big Bad Brother issue is still, well, an
issue(which is why I like the idea of a
privately-owned system), but child abductions,
burglaries, and other problems that depend on no one
watching, may be deterred/prevented.

Color me at once both cynical and naïve.

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                           Ray Charles