[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) RFC: copy protection report

Acy Stapp acy.stapp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 15:34:23 UTC 2005

Dave, I can't reach your server (DNS won't resolve) but here are my
thoughts on copy protection as a game developer:

It does not work. Never. Every available copy protection scheme has
been cracked at least once, and that crack is made available to those
who want to crack other software. People will crack your copy
protection *for fun*.

USB dongles are a pain to use. When we buy software that requires one,
we find a crack so that we don't have to use it. Otherwise some of our
developers would have three or four dongles hanging off of their
machine.

At some point in your code you are going to have a function to check
the copy protection and a cracker will find this function and change
the machine code to return true.

Really your only hope is to be so obscure that noone wants your
product and no crackers want to break it.

Acy