[extropy-chat] Net connection query: DSL & V4 IP addresses

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:51:00 UTC 2005

This may be list unrelated for most people, so please reply offlist.

I'm attempting to setup a Verizon DSL connection with a Linksys router
attached so it can function as a web server (HTTP, perhaps DNS, SMTP,
TELNET, etc.).  People familiar with this seem to have differing opinions as
to whether one can force the router/DSL combination to maintain a static IP
address (it normally seems to be allocated from a Verizon 'pool' address
set).

The router seems to support NAT for individual ports and a combination of
static & allocatable local IP addresses but I don't think that will deal
with the problem of 'forcing' Verizon to allocate and maintain a single IP
address.

Direct experience information (or pointers to lists/web pages on the topic)
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert