[extropy-chat] Creating software with qualia

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Fri Dec 2 22:38:03 UTC 2005

Eugen,

I believe I described what "abstract information represented by arbitrary
causal properties" are in other posts.

Basically, today, our computers represent "abstract" information by
something physical.  It could be anything from holes in punch cards to pits
on a CD, to voltages on wires.  The only way something physical works for
this purpose is if it has "causal properties" to enable communication of the
information it is representing.  Anything with such "causal properties" can
"arbitrarily" be used to represent "abstract" computer information.

The particular physical representation doesn't matter.  But with qualia, in
our conscious minds, what they are phenomenally like does matter.

Brent allsop