[extropy-chat] baloney in the memetic superstructure

Herb Martin HerbM at learnquick.com
Sun Dec 4 04:44:03 UTC 2005

> From: spike
>
> When one has a deep-seated incorrect notion in one's
> memetic infrastructure, one takes an interest in how
> it got there to start with.  When Samantha chided me
> into becoming educated on the dangers of drug overdose,
> I did so and found I had worried for nothing.  I found
> a bunch of other interesting stuff while I was at it.  What
> follows is a short report, written mostly for your
> Saturday evening entertainment.

[Snip a bunch of "other interesting stuff", that I enjoyed
reading...]

> So I was wrong about the potential of death due to
> LSD overdose, but it's all Hollywood's fault.  And
> that Howard Stern thing still scares me senseless.
>
> spike

It is rare on the Internet to find anyone so intellectually
honest, and rare pleasure.

I congratulate you Spike.  You are to be emulated and
envied for the ability to look deeper and learn in spite
of preconceptions and strong beliefs.

Salute!

BTW, I am fairly certain that (pure) LSD use actually
is one of the better 'cures' for (other) drug abuse
although I doubt there is any way I can show the
evidence that would cleanly support this notion.

LSD is non-addictive in the physical sense, and of
those I know who preferred using it it did not seem
to be addictive psychologically more so than any other
substance (including cigarettes and food.)

LSD is difficult to use "daily" since after engaging
in it's use it is ineffective for several days (radically
less effective at best.)

LSD seems to be a catalyst to some reaction within the
nervous system and my suspicion is that that substance
which actually causes the reaction is "used up" and
requires rebuilding to enable (again) the reaction.
(I may have read that some thirty years ago somewhere.)

--
Herb Martin