[extropy-chat] effing

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 22:22:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:18:37 -0500, Acy Stapp <acy.stapp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just one question here: How can you have "looking white" without the
> "looking"?

I don't think you can have "looking white" without the  "looking" but
whiteness seems nevertheless to be an objective property of white objects,
a secondary quality or power in Locke's terms, and not a mere pigment of
our imagination.

When we think otherwise then we find ourselves speaking absurdities. For
example you started  your previous message to me with these words:

> Here's where I disagree. The snow does not look white...

Philosophy sometimes causes people to say funny things. :)

Of course snow looks white! We can disagree about our scientific theories
about the way frozen H2O molecules act in sunlight, (about the primary
qualities of snow), and about how the mind works, about the nature of
consciousness and awareness, and about many other fancy concepts we hold
in our minds, but we cannot disagree about the plain simple fact that snow
looks white.

-gts