[extropy-chat] symmetrical snow and sudoku

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 6 06:30:59 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
> >If we could get small enough to see
> >individual H20,
>
> Incidentally < and yes, I'm a boring pedant >, what's with all this
> Hydrogen Twenty that people keep talking about? H2O, dear friends, H2O.

Do you guys remember the bad old fortran days, when
you accidentally typed a zero for an O, or the
reverse?  That was one of the hardest bugs to find,
mainly because the fortran error messages were often
cryptic to the point of being nearly useless.

I congratulated Damien on his visual acuity, but
then I became suspicious as I recalled his comment
that his vision was not so great.  So how had he
spotted the H2O vs H20 bug?  Perhaps he had his
computer read the messages out loud, hmmmm?  {8-]

Speaking of finding bugs, I finished a program the
other day which solves sudokus.  In order to save
much time entering the puzzles by hand, I wrote a
piece of code that generates the puzzles by starting
with a solved sudoku 9x9 matrix, then randomly blanking
out some number of squares, then solving the puzzle.

I lost interest in sudoku after learning from the
software that one need not know anything about
sudoku to solve it: the software has very little
smarts programmed in.  So I wrote an experimental
version that solves the sudoku, then records how
many initial blanks it started with and how long
in seconds it took to solve.  Below are the
results.  If you want to copy the column and
drop it into microsloth excel, graph it as an
XY plot and set the Y axis to logarithmic, you
will see an interesting pattern that I cannot
readily explain.  Why is there a branch that
kind of looks like main sequence stars on a
reversed Hertzsprung Russell diagram, with the
white dwarves below?

Here's the data:

Number of blanks			seconds to solve

49					94.3