[extropy-chat] effing

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Tue Dec 6 19:09:06 UTC 2005

gts:

> Given that he has blind-sight, I would suspect that the neural correlates
> do exist in his brain, but that his brain lacks the connection between
> those correlates and that part of the brain that manifests conscious
> experience. Apparently a part of his brain sees and experiences qualia but
> he has no conscious awareness of that qualia.
>
> I'm reluctant even to say he has consciousness, which I have defined as
> awareness of awareness. He is aware but not aware of his awareness, thus
> not conscious.

Yes, sometimes when they sever the corpus collasum (it connects the
hemispheres of our brain) there is evidence that there could be another
conscious world than the one you are talking to. (speech is mainly in one
hemisphere.)  But if you show something to one side of the field of vision,
the same side hand could pick that item up - and the conscious world talking
to you will not know that the item even exists.

It'd sure be nice to know what is required to connect two conscious worlds
together like this.  I bet we'll know before 10 years.

Brent Allsop