[extropy-chat] glyphosate

Lifespan Pharma/Morris Johnson CTO megao at sasktel.net
Wed Dec 7 02:45:53 UTC 2005

Alejandro Dubrovsky wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 13:09 -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>

>>On Dec 6, 2005, at 6:19 AM, Rik van Riel wrote:
>>

>>>I've seen more of the opposite - GM crops that are modified
>>>specifically to tolerate a higher level of pesticides and
>>>herbicides, so the producers can spray all the poisons they
>>>want without worrying about the plants.
>>>

>>These sprayings cost money.  So even by your own biases this is
>>unlikely.
>>

>Glyphosate prices dropped, so its use went up
>http://www.i-sis.org.uk/GMCIPU.php

But proportionately when adjusted for inflation of equipment and other
inputs and bulk transportation costs  and flattened or
reduced gross crop prices it has not dropped but at very best remained
the same.
In 1975 when grain was 5.50/60 pound bushel I bought my first 4X4 SUV
for 6500 now with net grain at 3.50
that SUV is over 35,000.  Fuel was 45 cents per gallon not $4.50 as it
is now.  Freight was 27 cents per bushel not
1.35 as it is now.  Fertilizer was 200/tonne not 550 as it is now.  Yes
farms of 25,000 acres now do relatively as well as
farms of 1000 acres did then, but there is some arbitrage by buying
undervalued assets from those in financial crisis as opposed to bidding
over FMproductive value as was the fashion then.