[extropy-chat] Science & Consciousness Review web site

Herb Martin HerbM at learnquick.com
Thu Dec 8 02:05:47 UTC 2005

Jef wrote>
> I have Metzinger's book in my library I posted very briefly to this
> list my favorable impression.

I recently (independently) conjectured something quite
similar to Metzinger, and this sent me on a search for
any published or developed theories along the same lines
(since usually an amateurs conjectures are well-known in
the field if they have any value at all.)

My conjecture is (on first view) different from Metzinger
in some limited but important ways, and these may address
some of the criticisms offered by those who generally
favor his exposition.

BTW, your recommendation was enough to tip the balance, but
don't feel "to blame" since I was practically ready to order
in any case.

THANKS for the help.  (If I am wrong now, I did due diligence,
and can just say, "Tough" if it doesn't work out. <grin>)

> It very clear, precise, and detailed, but slow-going.  I'd suggest
> that you would gain the same general understanding, but more quickly
> and easily, from Dennett's books such as _Consciousness Explained_,
> unless you've already read Dennett and are looking for more detailed
> scientific research.

I have read some (older) Dennett, and have the following on
order:

 Sweet Dreams : Philosophical Obstacles to a Science of Consciousness
	Dennett (MIT 2005)

 Freedom Evolves -- Dennett

  In the Theater of Consciousness: The Workspace of the Mind
  by Bernard J. Baars

  I also have ordered some newer Edelmann titles:
	A Universe of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination
	Topobiology: An introduction to molecular embryology

> I'll look into sending you an excerpt from the book (easy to do since
> my entire library is digitized) that may convey the flavor of the book
> to help you decide.
>
> - Jef

Excellent.  I read the first 3 pages in the Amazon "Look Inside".

I also read several (academic) reviews - even the negatives
intrigued me.

BTW, how do you digitize you library -- a guess would make your
"entire library" rather large....?  (I have a scanner but cannot
seriously imagine actually scanning all of my books; actually it
would be tedious to do even one.)

I am also considering:

The Quest for Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach (Hardcover)
by Christof Koch (Of Francis Crick and Koch fame.) $45 (or less)
  Sample chapter here:
	http://www.questforconsciousness.com/chapt.html

Consciousness: An Introduction - Susan Blackmore $28

The Birth Of The Mind: How A Tiny Number of Genes Creates the
Complexities of Human Thought - Gary F. Marcus

Cognitive Neuroscience of Consciousness (Cognition Special Issue)
- Stanislas Dehaene

If I didn't budget my book purchases I would not be able to
afford sufficient bookCASES.

--
Herb Martin