[extropy-chat] against ID

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 21:16:24 UTC 2005

At 03:47 PM 12/8/2005 -0500, gts wrote:

>>Astrology *doesn't predict anything*???
>
>No better than does random chance, unless you have evidence to the
>contrary.

Oh--you mean astrology doesn't make *accurate* or *correct* predictions
(beyond those expected by sheer chance coincidence), not that it doesn't
make predictions. But the test of a supposed discipline's status as a
science isn't -- for Popper, at any rate -- the accuracy of its
predictions, but the fact that they can be tested empirically, and *in
principle* falsified. Hence, psychoanalysis is regarded by Popperian
critical rationalists as a non science (everything and nothing is
consistent in any given case with its doctrines), while Marxism is regarded
as a science, but a falsified one.

If you wish to make a strong case against astrology, you need to support
your claim that no astrological prediction has been warranted. I've already
given the example of the Gauquelins' "Mars effect" as a quasi astrological
prediction that appears to have passed the falsification test (although of
course this is disputed by most sceptics, especially those who haven't
looked into the matter). Do some googling on the CSICOP sTARBABY scandal.

Damien Broderick
[ not an astrologer ]