Books are Pictures of Information, not Information (was Re: [extropy-chat] Science & Consciousness Review web site)

Jay Dugger jay.dugger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 02:16:10 UTC 2005

Thursday, 8 December 2005

> > variety of scanners, mostly limited to A4 or US Letter size.
> >  The main difference being the quality and performance of the
> > sheet feeders, and the cheapest ones are not worth the reliability
> > problems or time required.  When I started, three years ago, I paid $750

Amen to that! I have the same project for the same reason. Books weigh
too much. A good sheet feeding scanner costs. Consumer-grade sheet
feeders rarely feed two consecutive sheets the same crooked way twice.
This makes image post-processing, OCR and scanning hard.

> > for an HP
> > flatbed with feeder and the feed wasn't reliable enough.  I quickly
> > gained access to another HP that was about $1500 at the time and it
> > did a good job.  I'm now sharing access to a Konika Minolta C350
> > scanner/copier that is much faster, more reliable, and does
> > double-sided in a single pass.

You lucky devil! That's a nice machine. For those of us sans access to
such high-end machines, can you recommend a decent sheet-feeding
machine in the US$1500-range?

--
Jay Dugger
Please donate to a charity you like.