[extropy-chat] GM Food [was: World map of human ES cell andnuclear transfer policies]

Acy Stapp acy.stapp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 15:19:42 UTC 2005

Humans haven't been biologically adapted to vegetarianism for two
million years, since homo habilis and homo erectus. Our body is unable
to produce several vitamins in adequate usable quantities, most
importantly B-12 and D, which must come from animal foods or from
supplementation.

I found http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-w/hb/hb-interview1a.shtml#top
to be an informative read.

I will grant that most Americans do eat more meat than is necessary to
maintain their health, and the fat profile of factory-farmed meat is
quite unhealthy, with far too much saturated fat. I personally try to
eat free-range meat and shellfish in preference to factory-farmed
meat. I'm not sure how the energy balance comes out between more
factory-farmed meat and less free-range meat.

Acy