[extropy-chat] GM Food [was: World map of human ES cellandnuclear transfer policies]

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Sun Dec 11 06:01:00 UTC 2005

 (12/11/05 10:28) Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>Brent Neal wrote:

>very intense farming - Robert's bio-gruel idea - is not necessarily
>going to be cheaper and so more cost effective than just intense
>farming).

Asimov wrote about a time where most human-coonsumed calories would come from vat-grown yeast. I believe this was in the early 80s... (The Caves of Steel)

>Per unit weight, fat contains more energy (calories) than protein
>or carbohydrates. That's almost fat's evolutionary metabolic
>purpose, to be a light weight energy store, that packs energy
>extremely densely into volume - volumes like camel's humps etc.

As I recall, fat is 9 kcal/g and proteins average at 4 kcal/g.

 (12/10/05 17:43) Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>I don't know about that -- as I gaze about me incredulously on the streets,
>I suspect this conjecture is daily refuted.

I'll have to agree with Damian on this one. :)

 (12/11/05 10:28) Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>Any given GM solution has to get over two classes of hurdles
>(at least) - it has to be politically doable, and it has to be cost
>effective against the alternatives (including non GM solutions and
>other GM solutions) after taking into account what value the GM
>solution is supposed to add.

The politically-savvy solution may revolve around making land that is not otherwise arable productive.  Growing muscle tissue on artificial scaffolds in tanks, for instance.  You avoid any danger of genetic pollution this way. Further, meat is valued enough in areas where the daily caloric intake is low that the demand will outstrip squeamishness objections.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein