[extropy-chat] Putting another yank on the barbi (wasGM Food)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 17:20:50 UTC 2005

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Still earlier, H. G. Welles wrote about a future
> when most calories would
> come in the form of Eloi.  No vats required !  (The
> Time Machine).

Yes, I am not sure if Welles meant to make any subtle
political commentary with his writing but for some
reason I got the feeling that the Eloi were descended
from liberals and the Morlocks from the conservatives.
Did anyone else catch this or am I just bonkers?

> The most economically efficient, environmentally
> friendly, and ethically
> utilitarian solution would probably be for human
> beings to just eat the
> Americans :-)
> Its hard for me to imagine a better combination of
> nutrients for a human
> being in one free-ranging package than an American.

Alas the average American can hardly be considered
free range. We are reared in cubicles or on sofas and
fed a diet consisting mostly of high fructose corn
syrup and trans-fats chocked with preservatives. We
also tend to fortified with substances of dubious
nutritional value ranging from caffeine to prozac. All
in all, I would say that radioactive lard would be
more nutritious than the typical American.

Besides there is the problem of importing Americans in
sufficent quantities to be an economically viable
staple. We are notoriously difficult to round up and
herd although cheap vacation packages might serve to
lure us to specific locales.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)