[extropy-chat] Putting another Yank on the barbie

Alan Brooks albrooks2006 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 20:40:40 UTC 2005

Adults are Morlocks; students are Eloi. It would be best if public education were to be abolished outright, a drastic move to be sure yet it is the only way to go-- otherwise the situation will go on for generations. Milton Friedman thinks it utterly deplorable that a strong nation ought to have a weak educational system costing so many hundreds of billions. He is correct, however it is the one system Americans wont consider changing at this time because they like the leveling effect publik skools have.
  Ironic isn't it?: the one system that should and could be changed immediately is the very system too many Americans do not want to change thanks to fear of-- just for example-- dysfunctional black families privateschooling or homeschooling their children. It is embarrassing to think about let alone discuss. So the supposed tradeoff is, "we'll give so many millions of kids a mediocre public school system and attempt feebly to reform it" rather than try any serious change that might erode the leveling system holding most down but keeping the minority (no pun intended) up to nonexistent standards. Being a liberal I can tell you it is all wrapped up in liberal guilt, "if we cannot enforce equality of outcome then we can at least dumb the majority down".