'Bon apetite' was Re: [extropy-chat] wretched journalists strike again

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 17:31:52 UTC 2005

--- Alan Brooks <albrooks2006 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When the you read a philosophical clause such as
> this, even if written in jest, one can realize why
> the public might have a healthy measure of mistrust
> towards intellectuals.
>

> The Avantguardian Wrote:
>   >except in those extremely rare circumstances
> where
> >jungle law trumps civilized behavior.

Well I don't hear any public condemnation of the
Donner Party for resorting to cannibalism to try to
survive their ill-fated winter trek through the
Sierras. And as far a I know, they were not
intellectuals. I for one am willing to forgive those
that break laws and taboos in order to survive. I
think the public would be better served by directing
its mistrust toward those that have both the motive
and the opportunity to mislead, manipulate, and
exploit them. The media, the government, the church,
and large corporate interests should top their list.
Individual intellectuals are harmless by comparison.

After all, I am not the one getting rich by urging the
American public to fear its own shadow while throwing
their sons and daughters into the Iraqi meat grinder.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)