[extropy-chat] terrorist self-hatred?

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 03:58:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:31:55 -0500, Brett Paatsch
<bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Spike wrote:
>
>> .. terrorists hate everybody, including themselves.
>
> I doubt that you could find any expert anywhere that
> would agree with the crazy-boogie man assessment.

I'm wondering about the same question. Why do terrorists hate themselves,
assuming they do?

Self-hatred seems on the surface a reasonable explanation for
suicide-bombers, but one might ask whether suicide bombers differ in any
important way from volunteer kamikaze pilots in WWII. Suicide bombers
strike civilians rather than military, but what other differences exist?

I suspect middle-eastern suicide bombers would prefer to strike military
targets but that western military targets usually seem too well protected.

I don't think most people would say kamikaze pilots in WWII acted out of
self-hatred. I think the question relates more to western vs eastern
concepts of self.

-gts