[extropy-chat] my country, right or wrong

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 05:34:41 UTC 2005

--- Alan Brooks <albrooks2006 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I can clearly remember being told in kindergarten
> about forty five years ago of how "a real man will
> lay down his life and serve his Country"-- right or
> wrong; the situation hasn't changed all that much
> since then. We're inching forward like snails and
> it's time to admit it.

But "my country, right or wrong" cuts right to the
heart of the hypocrisy of the ruling the class. When
it comes to unilateral military action using
tax-payer's money, they invoke nationalism and the
need to "protect our borders" with much flag waving
and hoopla. But when it comes to whittling down their
overhead by offshoring precious American jobs
overseas, they invoke globalism. "Those Chinese people
need to eat too don't ya know, it's a global economy
now." So the simple truth of the matter is the
financial elite want their cake and to eat it too.
This is a particularly bitter pill for me to swallow
since I served in the military like I was told a "real
man should". I don't remember seeing any trust fund
babies with me in my fox-hole in Panama during the
reign of Bush the First.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)