[extropy-chat] Hello, and Something I Wrote

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Fri Dec 16 13:58:43 UTC 2005

Decent review and I'm in general agreement with your points.  Your point number 5 is one I've been trying to use a lot recently.  (Yeah, others have made the point independently...  You don't cite anyone in your review, but I reckon you know your points are not original.)  I think it's one of the better knockdown arguments against the anti-biotech types.  To defeat it they would either have to come up with a more nuance position that becomes less convincing or adopt a nonsensical position like being against all change.

I was also unaware that Kass made those predictions about in vitro fertilization.  Predictions, in general, are one way to blast at anyone.  (I've made a number of predictions, too, that have come out wrong, though they mostly centered on the next card in the deck.:)  This reminds me, too, that I was recently listening to an audio book where recombinant DNA was mentioned in passed.  Reading some of the debates from the 1970s, predictions about recombinant DNA -- the then next big thing in bioengineering -- creating super viruses or monsters were rife.  Well, where are they?

Anyhow, good work.

Oh, and regarding Kass, you might try to contact him or his aides directly.  My guess is he's not going to discuss matters with you unless you have credentials or have some power somewhere (such as you're the head of some think tank or college department).

Regards,

Dan