[extropy-chat] The NeoCon Mind-Trick(wasletterconcerningpresidential growth)

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 18 01:00:23 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Brett Paatsch
>
> Damien Broderick wrote:
>
> > At 08:42 AM 12/18/2005 +1100, Brett wrote:
> >
> >>Anyway this is a diversion but I needed to say it
> >>Spike. I like you but I think the reason you can't
> >>see the difference between Kerry and Bush is
> >>that you are probably not smart enough.

Ja, I never claimed to be smart in politics.  Interesting
thing about using SAT scores to estimate IQ is that there
are many different ways to get a high score.  You can
really nail the math part as I did, but be only so-so
at verbal.  Or the reverse, but it is easy to see that
there are different kinds of smart.

I could have specified that W and Skerry were
indistinguishable on all the things that I really
care about.  If you look at the war topic, for instance,
by the time of the 2004 election the second war was
already over.  Skerry still sounded pretty hawkish
did he not?  He said he would fight a more sensitive
war, yet he had testified against himself before
congress, revealing that he had both witnessed and
committed war crimes in Vietnam.  Could we really
hand over the nuclear football to him?

A conflicted soul I was, for even our guy said some
weird things.  I noticed he didn't even score 1% of
the popular vote.  {8-[

> Well not quite, but the prognosis for democracy in nation states
> is not good when voters of the intellect of Spike can't distinguish
> between Kerry and Bush...

...on those things that matter to me.

> Bush is authorising spying on Americans without getting warrants
> from the court...

That wasn't on the table at the 2004 election.  W isn't
currently running for anything.

> > In other words,  political differences probably depend on factors other
> > than raw intelligence...

Ja, and I know now what it is.  This exercise of trying
to compare political views to IQ has convinced me that
if there is any correlation, it is weak indeed.  But consider
another factor which we can likely show a very strong
correlation to political views: land ownership.  Land
owners tend to vote conservative.  So the promotion of
liberal causes can be accomplished by making land ownership
less attractive.  Or alternately pack the masses as close
together as possible.

> I completely agree. I meant no insult to Spike.  I think Spike
> is smart enough not to have taken insult...  Brett

No offense taken, thanks.  {8-]