[extropy-chat] The NeoCon Mind-Trick

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sun Dec 18 19:01:25 UTC 2005

I normally tend to stay out of these discussions, but when someone as
rationally and objectively thinking as Robert makes what appear to me
as very narrow statements, I feel compelled to contribute a point of
view that seems under-represented.

The military action in Iraq is not primarily about WMD, or about the
attack on the World Trade Center, or even about "terrorism", which is
currently so over-used and broadly defined as to be more misleading
that meaningful.

It's about economics in the broadest sense.  It's about the
intentional disruption of a socio-economic structure, geographically
located mainly in the Middle East, that is a perceived threat to the
future well being of another socio-economic structure that happens to
be much more powerful in its capabilities and connections.  Since the
two structures are at odds, there will be competition for survival and
eventual growth of a particular set of values.

It's convenient to speak to the masses about Weapons of Mass
Destruction.  It's convenient to fuel the flames ignited by the attack
on the World Trade Center, and it's convenient to label many of the
opponents as "terrorists" when they would just as easily be labeled
"freedom fighters" if they were on the other side.

To reduce the argument to comparing numbers of individual lives lost
or saved within any subcontext misses the larger context within which
these actions are being decided.

>From my limited perspective, not having access to all the information
of the decision-makers, I think the recent offensive and subsequent
efforts at rebuilding Iraq were very poorly timed and executed,
leaving the US morally weaker in the eyes of potential allies at a
time when stronger cooperation is needed.  But in the bigger picture,
conflict will continue until we reach a new metastable level of
socio-economic organization.

BTW, I was happy today to see that Bill and Melinda Gates, and Bono
are being recognized for their humanitarian efforts.

- Jef