Vinge's politics/was Re: [extropy-chat] Vinge's next novel, Rainbow's End

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Sun Dec 18 22:21:55 UTC 2005

For the record, Vinge does consider himself libertarian and has said so
on a number of occasions.  His work "The Ungoverned" was awarded the
Libertarian Futurist Society Hall of Fame award at the World Science
Fiction Convention held in Boston September 2004.  Vernor was not able
to be present however David Friedman was there and accepted the award
for him.  David mentioned how Vinge's fiction writing has provided
interesting points to consider when he was writing non-fiction essays.
And Vernor had read David's Machinery of Freedom long ago.  So it
appears that to be an interesting cross-fertilization.

I last spoke with Vernor in September at the Accelerating Change
Conference and he told me about the book coming out.  At the time he
mentioned that is was not a "libertarian" book in the sense of trying to
push a political point.  I look forward to seeing it.

For more info see:
http://www.lfs.org/
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_Vinge