JC Re: [extropy-chat] Re: US not right to invade say Iraqis

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Dec 19 09:04:01 UTC 2005

"Brett Paatsch" <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au>

> This is getting almost too hypothetical to deal with as too
> many facts have to change for it to have been so.

So you're saying your powers of imagination are so weak you can not
envision a hypothetical where the international community condemns an action
that nevertheless turns out to be for the good. You treat the words
"international law" as a synonym for virtue and infallibility, I don't.

>  The USS Enterprise.  Are you convinced?

What do you think? Like it or not the ultimate commander of the USS
Enterprise is George W Bush not international law. The world might indeed be
a better place if that was untrue but it is not.

> you only acknowledge the existence of laws that have
> force behind them.

You tell me, if there is no force behind the "law" how is it different from
a suggestion? The entire purpose of law is to protect people, only a fool
would entrust their safety to something that has no power.

>The law doesn't cease to exist merely because it is not applied in
> some cases.

I agree, but the problem is "international law" is not applied in ANY cases;
or rather it is applied ONLY when the major NATIONAL powers want it to. And
that makes it just the national law of the big powers. I'm not saying that's
good thing but that's the way it is.

> It seems to me that you only see law as being about compulsion.

For me to consider something a law I must first respect it. For me to
consider something a good law I must think it can protect me. International
law fails on both counts.

  John K Clark