[extropy-chat] Impeachment of President Bush What odds am I offered?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Dec 20 07:35:53 UTC 2005

On Dec 19, 2005, at 6:37 PM, gts wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:25:24 -0500, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Before Jan of 2007: 1 in 10
>
> Those odds seem about right to me.
>
> Most amazing is the fact that impeachment seems a possibility. I
> admit it was the first thought that came to mind when I heard about
> his authorizing eavesdropping on American citizens without a
> warrant. At any other time in history that would be immediate
> grounds for impeachment.
>
> Impeachment might still be a possibility, but progress in Iraq is
> very good news. Also I was very impressed by Bush's honesty in his
> speech last night.

What real progress is that?  Lots of people voting?  If I were Iraqi
I would vote and encourage everyone else to vote to maybe appease the
occupying force enough that they would leave.

> Strange how the good news about the voter turnout in Iraq and the
> relative peace on that day appeared at about the same time that we
> learned our president was spying on his own citizens. Recently we
> removed a dictator who did that sort of thing.

I would impeach him for a lot of things starting with 911 and all the
lies and coverups associated therewith.

> I count the spying as a partial victory for the terrorists we're
> trying to defeat.

I count it as merely part of why our government allowed (if it didn't
help produce) 911.   This country is extremely keen on increasing its
power over the people over and beyond what is allowed by the
Constitution.  I think 911 and the "war on terror" were needed to
excuse what the government wanted to do in any case.

- samantha