[extropy-chat] Intelligent Design -- take *this*...

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Dec 20 23:45:46 UTC 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 12:48 PM, Hughes, James J. wrote:

>> Discovery Institute, I was forced to conclude that
>> their current efforts pushing I.D. are indeed a
>> front for a conservative agenda.
>
> Their Senior Fellow Wesley J. Smith is also one of the chief opponents
> of transhumanism-qua-transhumanism:
>
> http://www.wesleyjsmith.com
>
> Wesley J. Smith on Transhumanism on National Review Online
> http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-smith092002.asp
>
> As to your assessment of the scientific debatability of ID theory I
> agree that the kinds of statistical evidence that IDers point to
> should
> be considered legitimate scientific evidence in support of a
> hypothesis
> of intelligent design.

Quite a bit of those arguments are flawed in that they use old
contentions that have long been dealt with well by scientists.
Statistically unlikely events occur.  How exactly does this support
the notion that some Intelligent Designer made it so?

> Evidence of the cosmological unlikelihood of a
> universe that could support life is precisely what Nick writes
> about in
> regards the "anthropic principle." If there is no multiverse, Occams
> razor suggests we wouldn't be here just by chance.

This has always seemed like a silly argument to me.  It reifies some
absolute "chance" roll of the dice as it were and then expresses
wonder that one of the possible results actually occurred!   Any
possible outcomes that did not result in intelligent life would of
course not result in such wonder as there would be no intelligent
critters around to wonder.   A possible outcome, universe supporting
life, occurred.  Why is it even interesting that our current
cosmological models could produce ziilions of universes that did not
support intelligent life?  How could this remotely argue that
Something rigged the Dice?

> On the other hand, as the critics say, lack of support for the
> hypothesis of random evolution doesn't support any specific theory of
> intelligent design.

Sigh.  Evolution is not "random".  This is a common strawman of the
ID folks.

> If there was a body of evidence of statistical
> unlikelihood of our reality, the Simulation hypothesis seems a lot
> more
> supportable than an Abrahamic God.

Statistical unlikelihood doesn't seem very relevant.

> In any case, as you point out, there is no reason IMHO for
> transhumanists in particular to dismiss the ID debate out of hand.

It is not a scientific debate.  It is a religious wedge pretending to
be science.  That is reason enough for me.

- samantha