[extropy-chat] Tommy (Was: Consciousness is a process in multi-dimensional time!)

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 22:48:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:21:12 -0500, ben <benboc at lineone.net> wrote:

> I would agree with Acy here. Your scenario supposes 'blind-everything',
> not just blind-sight. AFAIK this is not possible (I would be astonished
> if it were). We understand blind-sight, i believe it's an evolutionarily
> earlier visual pathway. Presumably from a time that pre-dates
> consciousness, which is why it's not connected up to the bits of the
> brain involved in consciousness. Such a person would be able to dodge an
> object coming at his face, i expect, but not say anything about what it
> was.
> "Nice weather" is far too abstract a notion for a system like this to be
> able to cope with. It requires the higher cognition parts of the brain.

I can't say I disagree with you here... my thought experiment is mainly a
mental exercise.

It goes to the question of qualia that some of us find so intriguing. The
observation "Nice weather" seems to require the conscious reflection on
the experience of qualia. But the simple experience of qualia seems to
happen first at some pre-conscious level, as in the case of the blind
person who dodges an object coming at his face. I think most philosophers
of the subject don't make this distinction.

Certain neurons must fire for us to have conscious reflection on our
experience:

Specialized Neurons Allow The Brain To Focus On Novel Sounds
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/12/051202132313.htm

I think this does not mean qualia require, or are, the conscious awareness
of qualia. This is why I believe even lower, presumably unconscious
organisms like insects experience qualia.

-gts