[extropy-chat] a cynics view of Singularitarian verses singularity

Alan Brooks albrooks2006 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 19:26:01 UTC 2005

    Good question, a candid question and not naive at all. The answer is: no-one can predict the future, what we are trying to do is alter the future and are calling it 'prediction', 'extrapolation', 'forecasting', 'prognostication', and so forth. This has been called, "Marxism for computer geeks... [based on] verbiage and confusion...mind candy". Prediction is used to attempt to change the future and smooth life out by making people feel as if they have more power over the future than they actually have; all we truly have is some power over our own lives, and also rather feeble influence on what might occur in the future. Don't take intellectualism all that seriously; since intellectuals' minds are more highly developed their constructs are thus more highly developed & devious. Everyone has a combination of good and bad intentions; everyone has ulterior motives. Do yourself a favor, concentrate on something sensible, such as life extension.

  >Anna wrote:
  >Again,  maybe another naive question:)
>How can you be activist for something that apparently hasn't >happened yet?
>How come it sounds like Nostradamus? Predicting things in >advance that hasn't happen yet?
>How can I be singularitarian when i'm not sure what is >singularity?
>Knowing it's going to happen doesn't predict how it's going to >happen?
>Just curious

nattering nabob of positivism since 1976

http://mail.yahoo.com