[extropy-chat] Singularitarian verses singularity +HIGH IQS!

Marc Geddes marc.geddes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 09:14:28 UTC 2005

On 12/22/05, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 01:52:29 -0500, Marc Geddes <m_j_geddes at yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> > No.  'Contentment' and 'survival' are human goals.  No
> > reason why super-intelligences should have them.
>
> Really? I think super-intelligences might disagree.
>
> > Further, any definition of intelligence should surely
> > involve cognitive processes, not end goals.
>
> What are cognitive processes for, if not for achieving contentment and
> survival?

Humans have the survival urge because evolution made us that way.  There's
no reason why this urge would apply to intelligences in general.  Further
different intelligences would have quite different definitions of what
consistutes 'contentment'.  One guy might be content with chocolate ice
cream, but someone else likes vinella.  Specific end goals can't suffice to
give a general definition of intelligence.

> Can you come up with a better definition than the
> > three I gave above?  I've been thinking about this
> > for... what... 3 years now.
>
> I like your three definitions. I just think my fourth subsumes your first
> three in a manner analogous to the way you think your third subsumes your
> first two. Yours are about the means of intelligence, mine is about the
> ends.

See above.  Specific ends cannot suffice for a general definition of
intelligence.  Incidentally, my proposed definition is both a means *and*
and end.

Future super-intelligences are, to my way of thinking, just another step
> along the path of evolution, and evolution is about survival.
>
> For whatever reason, objects in reality have a tendency to persist. In
> sentient things that tendency becomes a will to persist.
>
> -gts

Nope.  This is simply imputing human motives to things which won't
neccessarily have these specific motives.

--
"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the shadow with teeth bared,
screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on