[extropy-chat] new mersenne prime?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 16:30:11 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Samantha Atkins
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] new mersenne prime?
>
> Can the $100K reward be claimed for a prime with at least 10 million
> digits that is not a Mersenne prime?
>
> - samantha

Yes.

This is a comical understatement of course.  If you figured
out how to determine the primeness of a ten million digit non-mersenne
number before heat death of the universe, the measly 100k would
be irrelevant.  Mathematicians all over the world would fall
prostrate before you, crying out for your mathematical mercy
and digital blessing.  Personally I would give up my 9 to 5
forthwith and dedicate the remainder of my pathetic numerically-deficient
existence to collecting pebbles from along the path upon which you
have trod.