[extropy-chat] Politics

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 05:35:53 UTC 2005

On 12/23/05, Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere at gmail.com> wrote:

> When it comes to politics on this list I consider one form a necessity and
> the other a pest.
> The pest can be summed up as "parochial party politics". It is easy to
> spot - the names 'Bush', 'Republican', 'Democrat' etc make unwelcome
> appearances in almost all instances.
> If people want to talk about politics let's keep it to either specific
> instances that affect Transhumanist aims directly, or to principles and
> practices op the wider stage..
> Am I alone in this view?

Seconded (or thirded, fourthed etc). Anyone who disagrees, let's suppose I
got a bunch of Irish friends and we came onto this list and started spamming
it with a zillion angry messages a day about Bertie Ahern. Something tells
me the moderator wouldn't be quite so tolerant.

Now there are political discussions that are genuinely extropy-relevant.
They just don't tend to involve sphexish bickering about whether the current
occupant of $government_building shags sheep.

- Russell