[extropy-chat] Singularitarian verses singularity

Marc Geddes marc.geddes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 05:54:48 UTC 2005

On 12/23/05, Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Indeed given your views it might be more extropic (better for
> humanity as a whole) to campaign to close the Singularity Institute
> down before it does any harm or to lobby to have you removed
> from it.
>
> Brett Paatsch

No need to worry Brett.  Eli ain't got a hope in hell of succeeding.

I don't believe *any one* (any human) is capable of a full understanding of
what general intelligence is.  I think we'll be waiting forever if Sing Inst
is hoping achieve full understanding before launching.

Some one with a more disruptive approach will beat them to it.  I believe
that a combination of guess-work, brute forcing will get to FAI first.  I
think there's a very clever trick (which I'm keeping to myself for the
moment) for getting around the unfriendliness worry.  So:  guess-work, brute
forcing and my clever trick for beating unfriendliness...no worries.