[extropy-chat] The existential threat of international law

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 20:30:27 UTC 2005

On 12/23/05, Hughes, James J. <james.hughes at trincoll.edu> wrote:

> on the universality of human rights. I assume you agree that it would be
> progress if we could effectively stop torture and genocide, whether the
> dictators of those countries signed the treaty banning them or not?

Oh indeed!

I think one clear project of our age is to create the transnational
> structures to effectively enforce the Universal Declaration of Human
> Rights, and hopefully leave everything outside their scope to the
> national states.

*nods* If I thought it would stop there, I'd be all in favor.

Of course, I'm sure that will be one of the first things the FAI takes
> care of once it takes over SkyNet....

*grin* This is why I'd be a happier man if I could convince myself
Skynet-style "AI takes over the world" isn't just a fantasy; sadly, my
suspension of disbelief doesn't stretch that far.

- Russell