[extropy-chat] Impeachment of President Bush What odds amIoffered?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 23 21:48:10 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Brett Paatsch
>
> We were getting race riots here in Australia.
>
> Home grown plotters have been reported in
> the papers citing the invasion of Iraq as reasons
> why they want to do something. Do something
> like kill the Prime Minister and/or his family.
> Brett Paatsch

Brett I am still pondering the rest of your post, but
to this comment I will respond on my way out.

I have no doubt that the local papers cited the
invasion of Iraq as a reason the rioters want to
do something.  The reporter who wrote this might
have searched and found someone who made such a
comment, or failing that, imagined one.  Like here
and everywhere else, Australian news reporters
have their own agendas to promote.  Of course
they must sell newspapers, otherwise they would
need to find a real job.

It is much easier for me to believe that these riots
are made up of good old fashioned motives that
have always been with us: bored idle young men,
territoriality made more acute by the persistent
and increasing shortage of public-accessible
oceanfront, real or perceived unfairness resulting
in relative poverty, add testosterone and alcohol,
stir vigorously.

Look at the pictures of the rioters.  Do you see
anyone there who looks over 40?  I see plenty of
teens and twenties aching to demonstrate their
manly courage.  Young men like to fight; humans
have evolved that way.  But this is actually good news,
for the average population is increasing everywhere
on this planet. As time goes on, the world will have
ever fewer of the young and the restless, and ever
more of the old and the helpless, resulting in a more
peaceful (even if more boring) world.