[extropy-chat] MP3000s

Mark Walker mark at permanentend.org
Sun Dec 25 22:40:45 UTC 2005

Best of the season to all. Hiding downstairs from the upstairs festivities,
I've finished a draft of a short paper I am working on dealing with the
question of whether we can own or otherwise dictate the life trajectories of
human-level intelligent robots. I would be interested if anyone has examples
from fiction or non-fiction where it is assumed that it is morally
permissible to own human-level robots. An example that came to me this
morning (and made me smile) was "Rosie" from the Jetsons. Rosie is purchased
as a slightly used robot but she is sensitive enough to try and leave the
Jetsons when she believes that she has caused the Jetsons problems. Poor
Rosie, she is a slave.

Cheers,

Mark

www.permanentend.org/Walker/mp3000.html