[extropy-chat] MP3000s

Joseph Bloch transhumanist at goldenfuture.net
Mon Dec 26 04:31:26 UTC 2005

"Star Wars". Not only do 'droids with enough introspection to express
remorse when their owners are presumably killed because of their
inability to act quickly enough (Ep IV trash compactor sceen), but they
can have their memories erased at a whim (Ep III "have the protocol
droid's memory erased" and Ep IV "take them to Anchor Head and have
their memories erased"). This has been discussed in much more depth over
on Betterhumans.com.

"I, Robot". Basically, the whole movie revolves around how robots with
basically human-level intelligence are integral to society as servants.

"Forbidden Planet". I assume here that being able to order the robot in
question to stick its arm in a disintegrator beam is about equal to
ownership as used in your question here.

"2001: A Space Oddessey" and "2010: The Year We Make Contact". I'm
reluctant to include these here, as HAL9000 is never said explicitly to
be "owned" by the government, but it's implied that it's just considered
to be a tool, and the moral dillemma about HAL's status personhood-wise
is developed a bit better in the second film.

"Westworld". But I'm not sure these would qualify as "human-level"...
I'd give it a question-mark. It's never explained if they are simply
malfunctioning toasters or resentful Spartacuses. Deliberately so, perhaps.

"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Marvin the paranoid android.

"The Black Hole". Maximillian to be sure, but I would probably include
Vincent in this category as well.

"Doctor Who". K-9. Clearly property, even if nicely-treated property.

Someone already mentioned "Bicentennial Man".

The examples from print literature are even more extensive, if less at
my fingertips. In fact, I can think of many more instances where AI
robots were considered inferior to humans than the reverse...
"Transformers" comes to mind (trivial though it may seem, it plays well
into the theme that robots with human-level intellects are independent
actors).

Joseph