[extropy-chat] why do the senegalese get along?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 18:43:12 UTC 2005

On 12/25/05, spike wrote:
> Can anyone here offer an explanation for this?
> If this story is true, how to we cause it to spread?

This story does appear to be mostly correct, given credence by similar
reports from previous years.

Nobody else has had a go at answering Spike's question, so here's my try. :)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senegal>

Senegal is a republic with a powerful presidency; the president is
elected every seven years, amended in the 2001 to every five years, by
universal adult suffrage. The current president is Abdoulaye Wade.

Senegal also has 65 political parties which contribute to development
of the country through working towards a successful transition to
democracy in the country, and even among other developing countries on
the African continent. The unicameral National Assembly has 120
members elected separately from the president. A single house
legislature, and a fair and independent judiciary also exist in
Senegal.

In Senegal, Islam is the predominant religion, practiced by
approximately 94 percent of the country's population; the Christian
community, at 4 percent of the population, includes Roman Catholics
and diverse Protestant denominations.

But this country is a huge mixture of just about everything. Language,
race, customs, etc. from many sources. French is the official language
but is used regularly only by the literate minority. The Wolof are the
largest single group in Senegal at 43%, other ethnic groups include
the Fula (24%), the Serer (15%), the Jola (4%), Mandinka (3%), beside
numerous smaller communities. About 50,000 Europeans (mostly French)
and Lebanese reside in Senegal, mainly in the cities. Among those
cities as well, there are also some Chinese and Vietnamese minorities.

In appearance, the Wolof look very dark African, not Arab.
<http://community.webshots.com/photo/109918284/109918284POKFdP>

Their version of Islam is pretty unique also.
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4268342.stm>
"Senegal's most powerful men are not politicians, but the leaders of
the country's Islamic Sufi brotherhoods, to which a very large
proportion of Senegalese belong, and whose influence pervades every
aspect of Senegalese life."

In Senegal, Sufi Islam is paramount and Islamism has had a negligible impact.
In Senegal, Islamic communities are generally organized around one of
several Islamic Sufi orders or brotherhoods, headed by a khalif
(xaliifa in Wolof, from Arabic khalīfa), who is usually a direct
descendant of the group's founder.
The Mourides number as many as 4 million in Senegal alone and
thousands more abroad. The Mouride Way, based on the teachings of
Amadou Bamba, emphasizes the virtues of pacifism and the importance of
hard work and has within this century become the biggest influence on
contemporary Senegalese life and culture.

<http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/irf/2004/35379.htm>
The Constitution provides for freedom of religion, and the Government
generally respects this right in practice. There is no state religion;
the Constitution specifically defines the country as a secular state
and provides for the free practice of religious beliefs, provided that
public order is maintained.
Religion plays an important role in the lives of most citizens, and
society generally is very open to and tolerant of different religious
faiths. The country has a long tradition of amicable and tolerant
coexistence between the Muslim majority and Christian, traditional
indigenous, and other religious minorities. Interfaith marriage is
relatively common.

To sum up, Senegal has a reputation for transparency in government
operations. The level of economic corruption that has damaged the
development of the economies in other parts of the world is very low.
Today Senegal has a democratic political culture, being part of one of
the most successful democratic transitions in Africa. Senegal
recognizes and respects all cultures, religions and traditions.

BillK