[extropy-chat] Politics

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Dec 27 14:43:32 UTC 2005

At 07:18 AM 12/27/2005, Harvey wrote:

>What in the world are you trying to accomplish?  Seriously, I don't
>understand.  Besides the fact that some people find it fun to argue, and
>that they insist on doing so in front of an nonconsensual audience, what
>does arguing accomplish that rational discourse without arguing does
>not?  What do the new rules accomplish that the old rules did not?  I
>really don't know what "problem" you are trying to solve.  Can somebody
>please define *why* was want to encourage arguing as opposed to discussion
>without arguing?

First let me state that politics is not banned on this list.

Second let me state that arguing is not an unhealthy exercise.
http://www.blonnet.com/life/2002/10/07/stories/2002100700120200.htm
Arguing, in fact, is sought out by world-class thinkers who accept arguing
as a way to clean the waters and allow hidden resentments to flush.
http://www.pbs.org/arguing/  Further, arguing a point ought to be a skilled
process http://english.unitecnology.ac.nz/resources/units/argument/home.html

Third, with these two points in mind, I think that there is more senseless
political argumentation in the world than productive, intelligent
discussions where actual resolution is made through the ability of people
to solve problems and apply creative alternatives to problems.

I have to say that I agree with Harvey, as I too do not understand why
anyone on this list would perpetuate irrational argumentative commentary
when constructive discussion is suggested and promoted by ExI.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist - Designer
Future Studies, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
Honorary Vice-Chair, <http://transhumanism.org/>World Transhumanist
Association
Senior Associate, <http://foresight.org/>Foresight Institute
Advisor, <http://alcor.org/>Alcor Life Extension Foundation

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective.
Buckminster Fuller