[extropy-chat] MP3000s

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 27 17:20:48 UTC 2005

--- Mark Walker <mark at permanentend.org> wrote:
> Star Wars is interesting in that even our big moral
> hero, Luke Skywalker (no
> relation) begins the first movie (EP III) by buying
> two slaves (two
> "droids"). It is amazing how uncritical people are
> of this. I can see this
> perhaps with R2D2, because it takes a while to
> figure out exactly how smart
> she is, but CP30 is so blatantly human-like.

Well my interperation of the movies taken as a whole
is that slavery is perfectly legal in both the
Republic and the ensuing Empire. Luke's father and
grandmother were both slaves, and the visiting Jedi
actually "bought" (or won it in a bet rather) Anakin's
freedom instead of invoking any supposed illegality of
slavery. This leads me to believe that slavery is
legal in the political milieu. Thus that some slaves
are artificial makes little difference.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)