[extropy-chat] Politics

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Dec 27 21:28:11 UTC 2005

On Dec 27, 2005, at 5:18 AM, Harvey Newstrom wrote:

> Were any new idea discussed that haven't been discussed before?
> Did anyone invent anything?  Did anyone start any new projects?
> Did anyone come up with new insights that did not previously
> exist?  *These* would be the interesting things I would like to see
> from our discussions.  (Yes, even the political ones!)

Actually we did discuss some interesting things in the last week.
Sorry if you missed it.

>> Best do it so:  let us continue to allow
>> the political discussions, but keep it smart, relevant,
>> extropian-oriented and at the level of an argument
>> rather than a fight.
>
> So the week-long "experiment" isn't over?  This is a permanent
> change to the extropy-chat list?  Arguing about politics is allowed
> and even encouraged?  You think arguing is a form of
> communication?  And that it does not drive away the patrons?

Actually a lot of us have decided to stop US-centric colloquial
squabbling or simple stimulus response on political hot buttons
getting pushed in favor of only having those political discussions
here that have direct bearing on extropy or distinct extropic
content.  We decide this one by one on thinking about it rather than
through some heavy handed ban.  Sorry if that is not to your tastes.
But it feels more civilized and adult to me.

- samantha