[extropy-chat] why do the senegalese get along?

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 01:23:51 UTC 2005

On 12/26/05, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:

> At 02:43 PM 12/25/2005, you wrote:
>
> On 12/24/05, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone here offer an explanation for this?
> >
> > http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179678,00.html
> >
> > If this story is true, how to we cause it to spread?
>
> I don't know much of Senagalese history or politics, nor do I assign a
> high priority to learning it at this time, but I can contribute some
> thinking on the spread of tolerance.
>
> In general, intolerance is the result of "moral" decision-making
> within too small a context.  The world will become increasingly
> tolerant of individual and cultural diversity, while becoming less
> tolerant of those individuals and groups which violate principles of
> mutual growth,  as we become increasingly aware of the bigger picture
> via increasing access to information.
>
> We can cause it to spread most effectively by developing and promoting
> the tools.  The understanding will follow.
>

> Yes.  And that ought to be one of our preferred goals within transhumanism
> - to engage in and tolerance.  Further, a strong framework for knowing
> boundaries and setting boundaries is also essential to practice  tolerance.
> Individuals are more tolerant if their boundaries are respected.
> Individuals are more willing to be honest if their identities are
> respected.

That's beginning to sound like tautology.
Identity is bound up with culture and different cultures have different
boundaries. What happens when their freedom impinges on your freedom or vice
versa? Who draws the boundary?
The answer is either:
a) The most powerful
b) Neither, as both relinquish elements of their culture through compromise.

and if one is not willing to compromise?

Dirk