[extropy-chat] Bloodless Redistribution of Wealth (wasSingulartarians)

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 21:11:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:00:23 -0500, The Avantguardian
<avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The idea is similar to that of vanity license plates.
> The idea being that for a few billion dollars, all the
> bills or coins of a given denomination issued within a
> defined time period would feature the "winner's"
> picture on it.

Interesting idea.

> Any money raised by my idea ought to go to
> humanitarian causes.

Limiting the funds to humanitarian causes might be your only hope of
garnering support from those who would balk at the idea of enshrining rich
capitalists on our currency. Even then I think a large percentage of
people would find it distasteful.

A similar but more political feasible idea might be national lotteries
sponsored by and named after the philanthropists. A donor could for
example agree to match funds raised from public ticket sales up to some
predetermined amount, increasing the government's take while and also
increasing the jackpots for the winners. The donor's photogragh could be
on each lottery ticket.

-gts