[extropy-chat] Vanity Money (was Bloodless Redistribution)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 01:31:44 UTC 2005

Are you joking? Bloody unlikely. Susan B Anthony,
Sakajawea dollars, and two dollar bills haven't tanked
our currency despite their unpopularity (the
coins/notes and not the people) so I don't see how Ken
Lay would. (You did have to pick HIM, didn't you?) It
would be many years before numistmatists would be
interested in any of them any way, and collector's
value has little if anything to do with fiat currency
valuations any way. A dollar is a dollar no matter
what it looks like. If you don't like Ken Lay on the
$20 note, carry tens and fifties or use your debit
card. I would.;) As far as your previous objections to
enshrining rich capitalists on our money, do I need to
remind you that slightly over half of the people
currently depicted on our money were wealthy
capitalist slave owners, not all of whom were
presidents?

--- gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It would destabilize the currency. $20 notes bearing
> Kenneth Lay's photo
> (former Enron Chairman) printed a few years ago
> would be worth less or
> more (probably less) today than $20 notes bearing
> Bill Gates' photo
> printed this year.
>
> People would be trading these things on ebay like
> baseball cards and
> cabbage patch dolls. We would have no idea about the
> real money supply.
> Probably the increased risk of ownership would cause
> the US dollar to tank
> on world markets.
>
> -gts

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)