[extropy-chat] Politics

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 18:25:42 UTC 2005

On 12/29/05, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Try rephrasing what you have just written from (say)
> > the standpoint of a
> > Confucian perspective where individual rights are
> > subservient to family duty
> > and social coherence. You might end up with
> > something like... "And usually
> > these clashes can be reduced to religious or
> > political views in which social
> > values (the duty to society) are not respected."
>
> I find your statement here is especially pertinent to
> me, Dirk. I am half American and half Korean, so I
> walk a tightrope between my selfish individualism and
> my sense of duty to society. The actions that I take
> the most pride in are the ones that allow me to
> simultaneously satisfy both.

Which is OK when you can.
However, when law is formulated which culture dominates?
That is easy to determine in a place like Japan.
Not at all easy in 'multicultural' societies. Fortunately, our so-called
multicultural societies of the West are still dominated by a majority who
hold Western liberal values and place the emphasis on personal freedom. We
therefore truncate or outlaw the bits of minority cultures we don't like. It
may not be that way forever.

Dirk