[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 20:13:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:37:14 -0500, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

>> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 03:20:41 -0500, Marc Geddes <marc.geddes at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> As regards the idea that colors may be primary qualities of objects,
>>> no offense,  but I think you're making a very basic mistake, the sort
>>> of
>>> mistake a young child makes or pre-scientific man.
>

> Marc be kind to gts.  He or she is one of our most
> valued contributors.

That's nice af you to say, spike, but his point is valid. Color realism is
similar to the views of a "pre-scientific man". My thought here is that
perhaps pre-scientific man deserves some credit.

Abstract science and philosophy have not yet answered these very basic
questions. However simple  common sense tells us that objects really are
as they appear.

Ask a common man if tomatoes are red. He will answer, "Yes, of course
tomatoes are red!" Perhaps the common man is right.

In any case we're all talking out of our hats here, including me. :)

-gts