[extropy-chat] Vanity Money (was Bloodless Redistribution)

Anne-Marie Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 30 01:14:11 UTC 2005

Two weeks ago I bought Times Magazine with Bono, Bill Gates and
  his wife.
  I think that if I had 40 billion dollars (or whatever), I would probably
  be bored with making money.
  I would think, what can I do to be remembered by my donations?
  I've done the one in a lot, became a billionaire.
  Now what's next?
  I would bet that Bill Gates would put his wife on any coin or any
  dollar bill.

The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

--- "Keith M. Elis"
wrote:

> This idea is interesting to me only if we call it
> what it really is:
> the selling of advertising space on US currency.
> Let's let any entity,
> individual or corporate, enter the bidding. Imagine
> the behemoth
> financial services companies that would leap at the
> opportunity to have
> their logo blazoned across the $100 bill. Imagine
> the lottery
> organizations that would kill to have 'Use this
> dollar to play
> Powerball' dead-center of the 1$ bill. Billionaires
> are already rich,
> they don't need to advertise. However, many
> organizations with
> monstrous marketing budgets would leverage the farm
> to bid on this. Why
> hope for enough individual vanity when you can rely
> on good,
> old-fashioned capitalism, almost guaranteed?

Because this would kill the spirit of the endeavor.
The whole point of putting these people on the money
is to honor these great Americans for "giving back".
To allow it to become mere advertising space would
only cheapen the concept and our national identity.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)