[extropy-chat] Re: Qualia Bet

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 05:09:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:14:20 -0500, Marc Geddes <marc.geddes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've considered the view and I have no idea what the heck Chalmers and
> Clark are on about there.

It's a fairly simple idea. Because we equate our brains with our minds, we
think our minds are contained in our skulls. However the brain is not the
mind, necessarily.

If you consider your mind to contain everything it comprehends then your
mind contains the objects of its comprehension. Some of those objects have
color qualities. Those color qualities are in your mind, yet also in the
objects. Voila. Qualia problem solved.

Tomatoes are red after all, just as common-sense was informing us all
along.

> As I pointed out, we know how the visual
> system works and things are definitely represented in the brain:

I have an idea how the physiology works, thanks.

>  So again, absolutely no way to pick out some color as being
> 'objectively correct'.

Here is where I see a possible inconsistency in your theory. Plato's forms
are in a sense objective. There is only one true '7', for example, and it
exists 'objectively' in the platonic realm. You want to grant colors and
other qualia platonic status, but you don't seem to want to grant them the
same objective status as platonic numbers. If there is only one true 7
then why is there not only one true green?

-gts