[extropy-chat] MP3000s

Mark Walker mark at permanentend.org
Fri Dec 30 15:50:44 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Miller" :

> An AI will want whatever we substitute for our primary evolutionary goals
> Survival, Shelter, Sex, Power in the Tribe, as it's primary evolutionary
> motivations.
>
> I would say Altruism towards humans, Quest for Knowledge, Ability to
> Increase it's Intelligence and Design would be a good place to start.

Well, some my debate whether there is any evolutionary goal other than
increasing the number of one's descendents in time and space, so your
primary goals might be seen as intermediary goals. But that aside, the
golden rule of robotics says "Do unto human-level intelligent robots as you
would do onto humans."   http://www.permanentend.org/Walker/mp3000.html Do
you think that your proposed primary goals would be good to implant in a
redesigned human supposing we could do such reengineering? (I'm not sure if
you are proposing "ability to increase its intelligence" as a goal). If you
answer no then your proposal violates the golden rule.

Cheers,

Mark

Dr. Mark Walker
Department of Philosophy