[extropy-chat] the structure of randomness

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 04:21:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:38:17 -0500, Harvey Newstrom
<mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2005, at 5:20 PM, gts wrote:
>
>> I just skimmed through the original research paper. Shnoll and his
>> colleagues freely admit the distributions pass tests for normalcy,
>> which in the minds of many would make his observations not worthy of
>> further investigation.
>
> This is my conclusion.  Nothing abnormal or unexpected here.

Still there is something very peculiar going on here, (assuming of course
that Shnoll is not a crackpot who doctors his data).

 From the paper:

"There is a certain `lifetime' for the given
shape of histograms: in a series of consecutive histograms,
a histogram is most likely to be similar to its closest
neighbors. The shapes of histograms are very likely to
recur with a period of 24 hours, 27 days, or 365 days. All
this (regular time variation of consecutive histograms,
similarity of histograms for simultaneous independent
measurements of processes of different natures and
possibly occurring at different geographical points)
points to the existence of a universal cosmophysical
(cosmogonic) cause of this phenomenon."

-gts